Epic Charter Schools provides families with various health resources regarding child health and information on common illnesses during the school years. Below is a set of resources, links to county health departments, and our Healthy Habits video series.
Healthy Habits Cooking Show
Oklahoma is ranked 17th in the nation for obesity. Within the last 2 years, this has continued to rise with the ‘stay at home’ order due to the pandemic. We intend to make efforts to get families eating healthy. We plan to overcome the health issues related to obesity in the state and within Epic. When students’ physical needs are met, they are prepared for successful academics.
Take a look at how one of our Epic students is practicing a healthy habit by preparing a quick and nutritious meal. Be looking for more episodes as we partner with ENN (Epic News Network) to provide families with food recipes that are affordable and easy to make. Families will have access to all of the Healthy Habits Cooking Videos on YouTube, social media, and our Family Engagement Department newsletters.
Common Childhood Illnesses
We’ve gathered some information regarding some of the most common childhood illnesses that could affect your family. Included in this list are links to other helpful health resources.
- Fifth Disease
- The Flu: A Guide for Parents
- Head Lice
- Center for Disease Control: Meningitis
- Kids Health: Meningitis
- Meningococcal Disease
- Strep Throat
- Amoeba Sisters: Fun, scientific way of learning about scientific topics. Includes videos on viruses and bacteria.
- Oklahoma State Department of Health County Health Departments
- Back to School with a Healthy Smile
- Additional information can be found on the Kids Health website.
General Well Being
Children who exercise regularly are known to perform better in school and other activities. Below are some good resources about exercise and some fun songs for younger children to enjoy.
Having to deal with a bully can be difficult no matter the age of the child. The resources below provide valuable information to parents and students on bully prevention and how to curb bullying behavior in a child.
Growing pains can be hard, especially for the growing teen. Below are fun and informative resources regarding the physical and emotional aspects to teen health.
- Teen Health: Physical, medical, and emotional topics specific for ages 13-18.
- WellCast: Quirky, animated shows for teens that explores the physical, mental and emotional paths to wellness.
- Talking to Your Student about HIV/AIDS
- Parents Helping Parents: Support and Resources for Substance Use Disorders